Saturday, July 28, 2012

Wenona – “Would you like a cold coke?” There is such a thing as a free lunch…(July 24, 2012)

Jeff, Pata, Matthew and Clare in Wenona IL.
So we roll into a small town called Wenona, IL and before we are even fully stopped, we hear a man call out to us, “Can I get you a cold coke?”  I feel a bit puzzled. (I mean how often does a stranger offer to get you coke?)  He repeated his offer and I said sure.  He sent his son into the local sweet shop to get us each a vanilla coke (which hit the spot!).

We then got talking and learned that his name was Jeff and his two children Matthew who is sixteen and Clare who is seven (I think, please excuse my memory Clare if I am mistaken.) were with him.  He was an accountant who went back to school to become a teacher.  I told him that I had been a teacher and that the first year is the hardest.  He talked about some of the town’s history and how they had a coffee table photography book written by a fellow who had ridden across the Northern Tier route taking pictures of the mayors of the small towns along the way.  Wenona’s mayor was in the book. 

Clare wanted to get back on their bikes and get home and we needed some lunch, so we said our good-byes and thanks and went into a local café for lunch.  As we sat there preparing to order, who should come in but Matthew carrying the book which we had spoke of before.  We were fascinated by the pictures, some of which were quite striking.  Matthew admitted that he had only really looked at the picture of his mayor and enjoyed looking at the pictures with us.  We couldn’t believe he had taken the time to come back and find us to show us the book. 

He left after a while and we finished our lunch.  I went out to get the map and saw him again and he said he had to talk to the owner about something.  I didn’t think twice about it.  Then I went to pay the bill, and the owner said that the Phillip’s had taken care of the bill and told us to have a safe trip.  We couldn’t believe it.  During our initial conversation, I said that if Jeff needed advice during his first year of teaching, I would be happy to assist.  Now, I really hope he takes me up on it.  Thank you so much Jeff, Matthew and Clare for making our day. 

DW: This encounter with these wonderful people was a perfect demonstration of mid-west hospitality; and it happened so spontaneously that afterwards it felt magical to me. It happened too because we rode into town on loaded touring bicycles and they seem to spark the imaginations of people who see them. People know an adventure when they see it. It’s their reaction to what they’re seeing that makes for special moments. 

Downtown Wenona is charming.
,
A Sweet Shop customer came out later to view our bikes.

The local restaurant owner is a huge sports fan.






The book Matthew returned with to show us. A cross country cyclist took pictures of Mayors on his ride across country.

A great lunch in here paid for by our new friends. Midwest hospitality is alive and well.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very moving story, indeed. May many more magical moments be in store for you both in the weeks ahead.
Love, Annie Wilder

Catherine said...

Your stories about the wonder and generosity of strangers really offers an antidote to all this election year vitriol. Thanks, Pata and David!

-caw

Jeff said...

I am so glad to hear you finished your trip, but sorry to also hear the news about Peter. Enjoy each day you have and you never know what awaits us after we pass, so keep remembering the positive memories and SMILE to everyone you meet. We enjoyed your visit through Wenona, Illinois
Jeff Phillips

Unknown said...

Hello, Jeff's niece here. Did they menation that the Wenona mayor in that book was his father in law, my grandpa? That's why the book is so special to us :) Glad you enjoyed your visit in Wenona!

Dan Prusaitis said...

Hey Jeff! That was lovely that you got them those vanilla cokes. As I say to my students, the male ones anyway, good man. Your family is lovely and thanks for the holiday card! - Dan.Prusaitis at gmail