Saturday, July 28, 2012

Learning along the Way: The Ten Commandments of Our Cross Country Tour

Just a pic of me.  A little tired, but not too bad. 

1.   Be kind to each other.
2.     A day at a time. (One pedal stroke at a time.)
3.      Work together as a team.
4.      Get adequate rest. (Take real rest days.)
5.      Don’t let the small things get to you.
6.      Eat well.
7.      Remember that tomorrow is another day. 
8.      Be generous – especially of spirit.
9.      Assume the best.
10.  Don’t forget the bear!

Before we left, David asked me to write the “Ten Commandments of Our Cross Country Tour” and these are the ones that I came up with at the time.  After over 1500 miles, I think they are still the ones to which I would ascribe, perhaps with a few amendments.

We have learned though, that they are not as easy to follow in reality, although we try.   We have worked out ways to work as a team.  I am the navigator, writer, and cook.  David is the photo journalist, chief mechanic, and mattress blower-upper (thankfully).  Each job is critical if we are going to make it across and document the process.  

Some things are hard just because we are on the road.  Eating well is one of them.  It is hard to get fruits and vegetables that can be carried to camp to be part of dinner.  I have found that broccoli florets will survive a day on the back of the bike, as will an onion.  Bananas don’t survive jersey pockets too well, especially ripe ones.  Oranges and apples are heavy but survive much better. 

Rest can be hard too.  We have been good about rest days, but actual sleep night to night is another issue.  Some nights sleep is elusive, especially when the tent is hot or it is raining.  I have had some nightmares, which don’t seem related to the trip but probably express certain anxieties I have as well as some of the recent losses I have experienced.  Some nights we will have a restful night and it doesn’t seem to have a rhyme or reason, in that we can be camping or in a motel or shelter.  It’s not like one type of shelter provides better rest, but certainly heat plays a role.

I have been really working on taking it one day at a time.  For the most part, all I have left behind can’t be attended to at this time, although it doesn’t always keep me from worrying.  There is nothing to do about most it.  I have to remind myself of this.  I still have to be in the world, pay the phone bill, deal with some things at home, but not like I do when I am home.  Things are much simpler, and that is one of the joys of touring.  Life gets reduced in a good way to riding, eating, and resting. (Sometimes I wonder what it would be like if I didn’t have a cell phone and a computer, but I am not ready or willing to unplug that much. . . . but it is a thought.)

I have also been working at not letting the small things get to me.  I can fall into the complaining trap, especially when I am being bitten by bugs or it is 100 degrees out.  (I am sure you can see that heat is a theme here.)  In the big scheme of things though, they are small and there is often nothing to do about it, except put bug spray on and try to find a bit of shade. 

I think the first commandment of “Be kind to each other” might be amended to “Be kind.”  Yes, we need to be kind to each other and most of the time we are, but we also need to be kind to others as we travel (as well as kind to ourselves).  This is related to “assume the best.”  It is sometimes hard to get the city mentality out of us, as we are continually surprised by people’s openness and trust.   

People have been generous to us and I try to be generous back.  I really do believe what you put out in the world you get back, at least three fold.  It is odd to be in a situation where I am in “need” more than I can give.  I hope that I can remember this when the tables are turned and other travelers or outsiders are in need.

Finally, Rosie the Bear is our mascot.  She provides much needed comic relief as we travel along.  She sits on the rack – taking in all of it.

2 comments:

Melissa Kunga Silva said...

The times I have been in the South, I have been shocked at the kindness. Even at the kindness in Chicago, actually, speaking of the Midwest. & it is that kind of, 'I will go out of my way for you' kindness, without you even asking. It seems to get soaked out of us here in the Northeast. I am so happy you have been blessed by that kindness.
We have been having that heat wave, & tho I can't compare it to being out there on a bike, I hear you. I still hope you can get rest.
It is so nice to see your close up photo! Almost as good as being with you. Minor faux pas in other post = pic of Yankee. This is Boston, ya know.

Catherine said...

Your commandments would apply to all of us even in our regular lives. Be kind is especially important, and especially to ourselves!

But don't forget the bug spray, either...

-caw