Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Love, Dreams, and Other Musings (July 1, 2012)On

A Block Away from Nomi's House
We stayed with my good friend Nomi and her family (Tracy and Jesse).  I have known her since I was fifteen and she has seen me through a lot.  She is a medical doctor, but definitely alternative in her approach to life.  I love this about her.  It makes me feel at home.


A Warm Welcome

A View of the Sunset from their Front Door

Jesse with His Bike

Tracy has a cabin in the woods that they go to and an old tractor that they ride.  They were telling us about the cabin last night at supper.  So the cabin was on David’s mind as he went to sleep and he had a dream that he was in an unfinished cabin, part of which was closed off and partly open on another side. The open side felt vulnerable to anyone who might want to come in; maybe to take something. He felt a tremendous sadness  until Nomi told him during the dream that “love is the antidote to sadness.” He then woke with damp eyes. When he told her about the dream the next morning at the breakfast table he said that he thought love was the message of her house and the people in it. 

Tracy, Nomi, Jesse, and Pata
Love is the antidote to sadness is a wonderful saying and one that I believe with all my heart.  In fact, I think love is the reason why we choose to live and is what make one’s life worthwhile.  I do not only mean “romantic” love, but also love of a plutonic nature.  Love is really about connection and relationship – the ways that we treat ourselves and each other in the world.  Real love is about getting outside ourselves and having empathy for another person.  Love is not trivial and should not be taken lightly. 


True friendship is about love.  Being a friend is important to me and I take the job very seriously.  I value my friendships and work to maintain them.  Sharing time with Nomi, Tracy, and Jesse reminded me that friendships – especially long-standing ones, are not so common.  It is wonderful to have a friend who has known me for so long and seen me grow.  There are things I don’t have to say or express that are implicitly understood.  There is an acceptance of who I am which is invaluable.

I am grateful to all my friends and appreciate the various roles each one plays in my life.  I am thankful to have had the chance to spend some time in Rochester with Nomi and am very grateful for all the ways she and her family hosted us and helped us regroup to get back on the road as we head toward California.

I know that I really could not do this trip without my friends. (There is Susan who sends me stuff, and Catherine who holds my mail, and Naomi who made my first aid kit, and Carla who helped me sell my car, Deb who checked my bike’s brakes over and gave me needed tools. and all those friends who provide emotional support and prayers (Barbara, Melissa, Christina, Robyn, Ellen, Julia, Vanessa, Peter, Andi, Galina, and more). 

I am blessed with many friends, and loving family and a loving partner.  This is more than many people have, and I know it. 




1 comment:

Anna said...

Saying hello Pata! I've been following your trip and it looks like an amazing journey. I miss you and I hope we can reconnect when you get back.