Sunday, July 22, 2012

Dogs Gone Wrong (July 20, 2012)


Today was a scary day.  We got chased by dogs five or six times.  The first time, two huge Dobermans came charging at David as we came down the road.  One of them came around the front, and the other jumped up toward David.  David came off the bike as it was rolling.  He yelled at the dogs, as they growled and came toward him.  Then the owner called them off and they went back across the road toward the yard where a woman was standing.  It was really frightening and I know if I had been riding in the lead I would have been down and bit.  There was no way I would have been able to come off my bike and ward off the dogs like David did. 

Then we had a another dog come at us, but the owner called it back.  We had two other dogs run after us and one that ran behind us for a good five miles or more.  Although I did not want the dog chasing us, I felt sorry for it as it was getting farther from home and worried that it would be hit by a car trying to cross some of the roads we were traversing.

After that there were two German Shepards that came after David (again he was in the lead).  He got off the bike and yelled at them, and then a woman came out and called the dogs.  I had gone ahead like a chicken – not that I could have done anything had I stayed. 

It got so I would worry when we passed houses (as opposed to corn fields) that dogs were going to come and attack us.

Now I am all for pets and understand why you would want a dog in a rural area.  They are very protective.  However, I am outraged at the irresponsibility that these owners have toward others and their dogs. It is the owners who are responsible for their animal’s behavior. 

It was a harrowing day of being chased.  It is really the first time when dogs have been much of a problem.  I hope we don’t have any more dog days like this one.  

3 comments:

Melissa Kunga Silva said...

Sorry it was like that for you. Sadly, these dogs are prob meant to be protective.

Pedal and Shoot Photography said...

Been thinking of you guys alot as I ride all summer....hoping you are safe and all...This sounded really scary but I am glad nothing happened to hurt you...Just know you are in my thoughts...Just read the last few pieces, try to do that every few days so I can stay current...love, xxoo Andi

Anna said...

Scary! I'm glad you're okay.