Saturday, September 1, 2012

The Kindness of Woody and MJ (August 28, 2012)


So we were in Forsyth Montana at a Pat’s Motel avoiding the 100 degrees heat, looking at the map which said we had about 82 miles to Billings with not much in between that wasn’t camping without running water or showers and a forecast of 102 degrees with headwinds.  David looked at me and said, “It sounds like a recipe for a heart attack!”  I had to agree.  At that point, I said let me call Woody of Warm Showers, to see if he might have an idea of a place to stay at 40 miles or so.  When I had called him previously to see if we could stay with him and his wife on Thursday he had told me if we get stuck or need help to call.  So I did.

When I told him the situation he told me to ride to Hysham in the morning and that he would pick us up.  I was surprised but certainly wasn’t going to object.  (I am not so much of a purist or too proud to insist on pedaling every mile – after all we were saved by motorized vehicles two other occasions – once when I broke a spoke and again in the mud.) 
Sunrise. The camera didn't really catch the big RED ball.


Shadow man stretches down the highway.

Leaving Forsyth on Frontage Road, the road less traveled...

Yellowstone Valley Montana.

The horse came right over to the fence looking for a treat.

We started off very early to avoid the heat.  It was before six when we headed off. (Was I awake?  Of course not, but I was pedaling all the same.)  On the way out of town we saw a dramatic sunrise of which I took a picture with my phone.  It does not fully capture how red the sun was as it came up, but you get the gist.  It was cool at that time of day, and the ride to Hysham was lovely.
When we got to the gas station where we were going to meet Woody, it was only about 9 AM.  I got a call from him saying he was leaving Billings then and would be there around ten.  Rather than sitting in the gas station, we decided to wander around town. 

Pulled into Hysham and ran into a bear.

Rosie the Bear sits for her picture.

Rosie, only one sock?

Needing water at the Friendly Garden site.

Kind of an Alamo-style theatre in Hysham

These figures are next to the theatre.

Saber tooth tiger and wooly mammoth 


Lion donated by the Lion's Club in Hysham


Quite the trio!


We stopped at a park where the pavilion had a mechanism that you put quarters in to make the electricity work – one quarter for an hour.  It was a first.  As we were making our way back to the gas station, a van pulls up next to us and says, “You all looking for a ride to Billings?”  Woody had found us and we introduced ourselves and in no time had the panniers off and in the van and the bikes on the bike rack.

It was odd to be riding in a van.  It is sort of amazing how fast you can go.  I was in the back so I am not exactly sure how fast we were travelling, but in Montana the speed limit is 75 in many places and Woody was saying that before there was no speed limit. 



We were treated to a few historic stops as we made our way to Woody’s home in Billings. Woody is a lively and knowledgeable fellow and we learned a lot about the railroads (where he worked) and some of the history of the area. 

When we got to the house we met MJ – Woody’s wife and proclaimed “love of his life.”  (This warmed my heart.)  Their house was decorated with a number of Native American things which made me feel quite at home.  We had a wonderful lunch, did some errands including a trip to two bike shops to have David’s wheel trued and tensioned and to get some bike related stuff.  MJ made a delicious chicken dinner in a roaster that didn’t turn, but the hot air circulated around it.  After dinner, Woody made a fire outside and we sat around and shared stories. 

We had planned on taking a rest day the next day and spent the day catching up on writing, laundry, bike maintenance, and such.  MJ, who is a wonderful cook made fabulous meals.  It was a nice balance of getting stuff done and socializing with our hosts.  I even changed my cleats which made clipping in much easier.

We got up early and had one last delicious MJ breakfast of little omelets in their own little crockery, bacon, toast, and fruit bread.  Of course, there was coffee for those of us who drink it as well.  It is SUCH a treat to have real tasty food that is not from a gas station or pizza joint.  Woody biked with us for the first few miles to get us out of town.  (I really appreciated this, as cities are often places I get turned around.) 

Woody puts air in his tires and MJ comes out to say goodbye on the morning of our departure.

Woody is going to take us to our departing route.

Two of the nicest people you could ever meet anywhere!


And we're off! Woody gets us pointed in the right direction.

The stay was delightful and we felt well taken care of by Woody and MJ.  Many thanks to them both!


No comments: