Monday, August 20, 2012

Sunflower State





Shortly after entering North Dakota we were blessed with a field of sunflowers.  Sunflowers are one of my very favorite flowers.  They always look so cheery and I like that they grow so tall.  After that initial field we didn’t see too many for a few days.

We were told by a woman in Enderlin that many farmers stopped growing them because it had been so wet in previous years.  I guess when it is wet the cattails grow with the flowers and crows nest in them and eat the sunflowers.  She said that they can decimate a crop.  I guess this year would have been dry enough for the sunflowers. 

Then today I saw a number of fields of them – it was amazing.  It looked like yellow paint spilt on the ground for as far as the eye could see.   

2 comments:

Melissa Kunga Silva said...

Ahhh, you make me homesick. There were fields of them like this in Italy. I know just the feeling.

Marvit said...

Fantastic scenery of the enormous yellow splashes! Your friends and family know of your fondness for sunflowers, so this seems like a fabulous and joyous celebration in the midst of the travail and challenges of the road. A huge congrats to you both for persevering and now surpassing the 50-squared milestone of adventure.