Saturday, September 18, 2010

Another Harbor to the Bay AIDS Ride September 25th, 2010

Dear Family and Friends:


As many of you know, I have ridden the Harbor to the Bay Ride for AIDS charities for the past three years. This year will be my fourth. I ride this charity ride for many reasons. First, I know that we are still battling AIDS on all fronts – medical, educational, and social. Although many people have become complacent about AIDS, perhaps due to the fact that there are better treatments and people are living longer, it is still an illness that takes lives. As a mother of a sixteen year old, I worry about the possible impact of AIDS on her life. I know she needs to be educated and aware to act responsibly and be safer and although I can talk with her and do, I also feel it is critical to support organizations who work to educate youth.

Secondly, I ride in memory of my friends who have died of AIDS. I lived in San Francisco when the epidemic first emerged. At the time, there was a lack of information, no treatments, and lots of fear. I became an AIDS educator and shared the increasing knowledge of the disease as well as safer sex and drug use practices. I took care of friends as they became sick and died. It was a devastating time. I ride for these friends – to say I have not forgotten you.

Thirdly, I ride because I can. I may not be able to endow a foundation like a Carnegie, but I can ride and do my little part to make the world better.

So, again I am asking you to contribute to my ride if you can. I know there are many good causes to support and that money is tight for everyone. I just ask that you consider supporting me and this cause in whatever way you can.

If you can donate to my ride, you can do so online by going to my Harbor to the Bay homepage: https://www.harbortothebay.org/personal.asp?ID=618 Or if you prefer, you can download a form and send in your donation by going to harbortothebay.org and clicking on “donate” from the menu on the left of the page. I am rider #51.

Unlike many charity events where a percentage of the money raised goes to overhead, in this ride a 100% of the funds go directly to the service and research organizations.

Please know that I am not fond of either group letters or asking my closest family and friends for money. However, I believe that this is a worthy cause and that the money raised makes a difference. Another way you can support me, is to forward this letter to your family and friends who you think would be interested and willing to donate. As always, I am so grateful for all the support that you all give me in my life!

Blessings,

Pata

No comments: