Monday, April 6, 2009

Cyling in Middle Age

I am forty-seven years old and before now I was never an athlete. Growing up I was more interested in poetry than sports. I was a member of the literary club in high school snubbing anything as physical as soccer or running. People ask me all the time, so what sport did you do before cycling? I look sheepishly and say, “none.” Before now, I was an avid couch potato without the slightest interest in anything that could be called exercise. I spent most of my time up in my head. I had well developed intellectual muscles but physically I was out of shape. For me, it is a unique experience to be developing my body as well as my mind.

In my first year of cycling, I rode over 6000 miles. It was a thrilling year of fast learning and improvement. I went from barely making it 25 miles down a bike trail to riding 200 miles a week during the summer months. I went from being scared of drafting with my partner, to riding with a club. My body changed too. I developed muscles I didn’t know I had in my legs and knees.

However, becoming an athlete at 47 is a different experience than becoming one at 27 (and even that is old in athlete years!). My body is aging and I have to be mindful of that even as I push it to find its limits. However, if there was ever a time to become an athlete now is the time. Before I started cycling, I was on the verge of developing a number of health problems, including elevated blood sugar and high blood pressure. Both of those conditions have resolved because I lost some weight and improved my health with riding. Cycling also helps me deal with my depression which (as I have written before) is critical for my well-being.

I also feel good about venturing into something new in middle-age. There are times, especially when I am riding with the twenty-something women of my team, that I wonder what AM I doing here? But for the most part, I feel that cycling is a new and exciting learning opportunity for me.

I have learned a lot about my body and what it means to be athletic, but most importantly I have learned about who I am and what I am made of. Cycling has caused me to be more disciplined (although I am still working on this). It has pushed me to be competitive when I am usually cooperative. It has allowed me to be cooperative when I work with other riders in a pace line, or teach riding to beginners. It has pushed me to overcome the years of “girl conditioning” which taught me that I am not good with mechanical things. It has made me think about what is important to me as an athlete and as a person.

As an older but newer rider, I do bring the experience of my life to the endeavor. I bring a perspective of having lived through many trials and come out the other side. I know I may never be the fastest racer or the top winner, but that is not important to me in the bigger scheme of things. What is important is that I am learning and growing and sharing with others the love of cycling.

4 comments:

Molly said...

What an inspiring post. The idea of of exercise contributing to full health -- emotional, spiritual, physical -- is wonderful.

Caroline said...

You're not just sharing your love of cycling. I'm grateful for your perspective, life experience, thoughtful approach, motivation...

Hunter said...

I just found your blog after admiring your red Luna on the TE forum.

And then I kept reading.

I recognized my life in your words.

I'm trying to get started riding. I'm older than you and a little heavier than you were at your top weight.

Your words helped me see that I'm on the right track and that I, too, can get healthier.

Not to mention I'd love to knock depression on its butt.

Thank you for sharing. I'll be watching here and hoping that you start posting again. But it is fun to imagine you out riding in the wind.

Best regards,
Darilyn

Norah said...

Hi Just found your blog...and we are neighbors! Welcome to the area..and I ride with wonderful group of mixed age women..and your pace is right on from your posts I saw on the team estrogen forum...I love the mindfulness approach that you are working to incorporate and be present to you in your adventures as an athlete and cyclist! Ride with us any time! Norah pedalandpose@aol.com