Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bicycle Nuts




This is our kitchen. This is our kitchen with all our bicycles in it. It has the good ones, the commuters, the frame that is being repainted and built up as the "art bike" and the hybrid on the trainer.

Folks who are not into bicycles look at this and shake their heads. Why would you need so many bikes? Well, first, different bikes are good for different purposes. My partner has a commuter bike that is a work horse. It has lights and fenders for the weather, unlike his good road bikes which he saves for fair weather and long rides. If I am riding a long hilly distance I take my light Fuji Supreme RC which flies up the hills. So each bike has its place and purpose.

Also, bikes are like friends. The bike you choose to ride will depend on what mood you are in and what you are planning to do. For instance, when I want to ride a bike with soul I ride my red Luna. It was hand-made by a woman in New Mexico who only makes bikes for women. Of all the bikes I have this is the one with the most soul.

Each bike feels different and handles differently depending on many factors including the frame material, the components, the geometry etc... So riding each one is a unique experience.

In our kitchen we have a weight bench, a bike shop area, and the trainer. We have no table and chairs or pot racks. The counter, sink, and stove are on one side and serve their functions, but the rest of the room belongs to the bicycle. We have our priorities!

No comments: